Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing is way better than anything you can buy in the store. This dressing is creamy, tangy and absolutely luscious!
Easy Blue Cheese Dressing
Most people either love blue cheese or they are not that big of fan. This homemade blue cheese dressing, however, may make those unbelievers, believers. It is creamy, tangy and full of flavor. Making your own means you can control the blue cheese amount and what kind too, making it just the way you want it. The sour cream and buttermilk give the perfect amount of tanginess and richness. The mayonnaise balances it all together. You are seriously going to love this dressing!
Just like most things homemade dressing are just better than store bought. Just like this ranch, caesar and greek salad dressings, blue cheese dressing made from scratch is SO much better! Store bought dressings are full of additives and preservatives to make them shelf stable and last longer. These can literally leave a bad taste in your mouth and just taste kind of off. Making dressing at home is easy, simple, and so delicious.
Ingredients for Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
There are different kinds of blue cheese to choose from. I describe them down below. Any and all of them will work in this recipe. It is up to you on which you prefer.
- Blue Cheese Crumbles: Some blue cheeses will come in a block, or already crumbled.
- Buttermilk: If you do not have buttermilk on hand make some in a few minutes with a few simple ingredients. Find the recipe HERE.
- Sour Cream: Low fat or full fat work perfectly with this blue cheese dressing.
- Mayonnaise: You can also use low fat mayo here too.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley finely chopped.
- Garlic Powder: Provides just a hint of flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste.
How to Make Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
This is super quick and easy and will take you about 5 minutes or less. Perfect for when you are in a hurry.
- Mash: In a small bowl add the blue cheese crumbles and buttermilk. Mash the crumbles with a fork.
- Combine: Add in the sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, garlic powder, and salt and pepper and whisk. Add in more buttermilk if you want a thinner consistency.
Types of Blue Cheese and Which to Use
There are actually different kinds of blue cheeses in the blue cheese family and some are more mild and other rather punchy. It all depends on what you like. If you are not sure which one to choose, most stores sell a basic blue cheese that will be more mild than a stilton but stronger than a gorgonzola. And they all taste amazing!
- Roquefort: This blue cheese is the strongest flavored of the varieties and is soft and crumbly. It originates from France and is made from sheep’s milk. If you like a strong flavor, this is the one for you.
- Stilton: Made from cow’s milk, this blue cheese comes from England. It is firm and on the strong flavor scale comes in at second.
- Gorgonzola: Originating from Italy, this is a favorite flavor among Americans. Also made from cow’s milk it has a more mild flavor and is much creamier. It is a favorite for baking as it tends to melt more easily and beautifully.
- American blue cheese: There are several companies that make blue cheese right here in America. They are also made from cow’s milk and are gaining popularity although they still are working on being placed in the same category as the European blue cheeses. They tend to fall somewhere between a stilton and gorgonzola blue cheese as far as flavor.
Tips For the Best Blue Cheese Dressing
With incredible flavor and texture, this is going to be a family favorite!
- Mash: If you love the flavor of blue cheese, but are not a fan of biting into large chunks of it, make sure you mash it well. Mashing it thoroughly will also distribute the flavor better. If you do like the chunks then mash it less.
- Buttermilk: Add more or less buttermilk depending on how thin or thick you like your dressing.
- Let it sit: Blue cheese dressing gets better with time. Allow the dressing to sit for at least 8 hours, and overnight is better, before using. Trust me this key to a fantastic dressing, you have to allow those flavors to meld. It will make a huge difference in the flavor.
- Storing: Keep your blue cheese dressing in a tightly sealed jar or container in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
How to Serve The Best Blue Cheese Dressing Ever!
Beyond eating it with just a spoon, there are a few favorite ways to serve this creamy, cool blue cheese dressing.
- Vegetables: When you just don’t want to take the time to make something fancy, but want to taste that incredible blue cheese flavor, grab some vegetables and go dipping! Carrots, celery, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peas and jicama are some of our favorites.
- Wings: Buffalo wings and blue cheese dressing were meant to go together. Try Sticky Honey Garlic Buffalo Wings, Buffalo Cauliflower (yes it is amazing), or Air fryer Wings.
- Salad: Wedge salad with bacon and tomatoes is a classic
- Top it: From Steak to Potatoes blue cheese dressing can take a dish from good to impressive. If you think it would taste good, it probably will!
More Homemade Recipes to Try
Homemade is truly better, not only do you know exactly what you are eating, you can truly say it was made with love. It is surprising how easy and quick it can be to make foods at home. It is often cheaper too. Give these homemade favorites a try and see for yourself.
- Homemade Empanadas
- Strawberry Jam
- Fajita Seasoning Mix
- Homemade Air Fryer Pop Tarts
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups from Home
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
In a small bowl add the blue cheese crumbles and buttermilk. Mash the crumbles with a fork.
Add in the sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, garlic powder, and salt and pepper and whisk. Add in more buttermilk if you want a thinner consistency.